Welcome to Food Easy Recipes ultimate guide on mastering the art of pumpkin whoopie pies! If you’re a baking enthusiast or a foodie looking to indulge in the flavors of fall, you’ve come to the right place. In this blog, we will take you through a step-by-step guide on how to make homemade pumpkin whoopie pies, including the perfect cream cheese filling. We’ll also explore different variations of this classic treat, incorporating various fall flavors. And to top it all off, we’ll provide you with creative serving ideas to elevate your pumpkin whoopie pie experience. Get ready to impress your friends and family with these delicious treats that embody the essence of autumn. Let’s dive in!
How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Whoopie Pies: A Step-by-Step Guide
If you’re a baking enthusiast or just a lover of delicious treats, you have to try making homemade pumpkin whoopie pies. These Fall-inspired goodies are easy to make and incredibly tasty.
To start, the batter for the pumpkin cookies is similar to a pumpkin cake batter. It’s thin, but don’t worry, it will bake up nice and rounded. The cookies are perfectly spiced with cozy Fall spices like cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. They have a soft and moist texture, making them the ideal base for the whoopie pies.
Now, let’s talk about the filling. Traditional whoopie pies use ermine frosting, but for these pumpkin whoopie pies, you have the option to use a fluffier variation of cream cheese frosting. Cream cheese and pumpkin are a match made in heaven, and the tanginess of the cream cheese balances out the sweetness of the cookies.
Once you’ve assembled your whoopie pies, it’s best to refrigerate them overnight. This allows the flavors to develop and creates the best flavor. Trust me, they’ll be even more delicious the next day.
If you have leftover pumpkin puree, don’t let it go to waste. You can save it in the refrigerator, tightly covered, for up to one week. Use it to make another pumpkin recipe like pumpkin snickerdoodles or pumpkin bread.
Overall, making homemade pumpkin whoopie pies is a fun and delicious baking project for Fall. The combination of soft and cakey pumpkin cookies with a creamy cream cheese filling is simply irresistible. So grab your apron and get ready to enjoy this easy Fall treat.
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3/4 stick 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon optional; substitute 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Special equipment: 2 large baking sheets; parchment paper; 1-ounce round ice cream scoop (optional; see Cooks' Notes)
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices in a bowl.
- Whisk together sugar, oil, pumpkin, egg, and vanilla in a separate large bowl until well combined, then stir in flour mixture.
- Using a 1-ounce ice cream scoop or tablespoon measure, drop a scant scoop's worth of batter or 2 scant tablespoons of batter onto a lined baking sheet to form 1 mound. Make 15 more mounds, arranging them 2 inches apart until baking sheet is full (you will have batter left over).
- Bake until springy to the touch, 12 to 18 minutes. Transfer cookie-cakes to rack to cool.
- Form and bake remaining batter on the other parchment-lined sheet. You should have a total of 32 cookie-cakes.
- Leave oven on.
For candied pecans:
- Line a small sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Stir together sugar, salt, and 1/2 tablespoon water in a small saucepan. Heat over moderate heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil. Stir in pecans.
- Spread mixture on lined sheet pan and bake until coating is bubbling and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Cool completely on pan on a rack.
- Coarsely chop candied pecans.
- While cookie-cakes are baking, beat cream cheese, butter, and salt in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and bourbon and mix on low speed until smooth.
- Chill filling until firm enough to hold its shape when spread, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Assemble whoopie pies:
- Spread 1 heaping tablespoon of filling each on flat side of half the cooled cookie-cakes, then top with other half of cookie-cakes. If necessary, chill whoopie pies just long enough to firm up filling again, about 30 minutes.
- Gently press pecans onto filling around middle of each whoopie pie to help them adhere to filling.
The Perfect Cream Cheese Filling for Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
The star of these pumpkin whoopie pies is undoubtedly the creamy filling. Made with cream cheese, it adds a tangy and rich element to the soft and moist pumpkin-flavored cookies. The filling is a simple combination of cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. It’s whipped together until smooth and creamy, creating the perfect texture to complement the cakey, spiced pumpkin cookies.
As for the origin of whoopie pies, there are a few theories. Some believe they originated from a musical called Whoopee! in Boston over 100 years ago, where chocolate pies were thrown into the audience during the song “Makin’ Whoopee.” Others attribute the recipe to the Pennsylvania Dutch Country, where the women would make these treats for their families and everyone would exclaim, “Whoopie!” No matter the true origin, one thing is for sure – these treats are not only fun to make but also exciting to eat.
If you’re planning to make these whoopie pies for a holiday event, you can prepare the filling up to a day in advance. Simply cover and refrigerate it, but be sure to allow it to stand at room temperature to soften before using it to fill the pies. This will ensure a smooth and spreadable filling that perfectly complements the soft cookie and cake combination.
Transporting these pumpkin whoopie pies is also a breeze. They can be easily transported in a single layer in a 9×13-inch pan with a lid. Just be sure not to stack them, as they tend to stick to each other. Whether you’re bringing them to a potluck or sharing them with friends and family, these whoopie pies are sure to be a hit.
Fall Flavors: Exploring Different Variations of Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Fall is here, and that means it’s time to indulge in the delicious and comforting flavors of pumpkin whoopie pies. These soft and moist pumpkin-flavored cookies with a tangy cream cheese filling are the perfect treat for the season. But did you know that there are countless ways to get creative with pumpkin whoopie pies?
Exploring different variations of pumpkin whoopie pies allows you to discover new flavor combinations and surprise your taste buds. Whether you prefer the classic version or want to try something more adventurous, there is a variation out there for everyone. Adding spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger can enhance the flavor profile and give them a warm and cozy taste.
But why stop there? Incorporating ingredients like cream cheese, caramel, or chocolate ganache can take your pumpkin whoopie pies to the next level of decadence. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box and experiment with unconventional fillings like apple butter, maple cream, or even pumpkin spice marshmallow. The possibilities are endless!
Presentation is key when it comes to pumpkin whoopie pies. Consider adding decorative touches like sprinkles, crushed nuts, or drizzles of caramel or chocolate sauce to make them visually appealing. And don’t forget to share your favorite variations with friends and family. It’s a wonderful way to celebrate the flavors of fall and create lasting memories.
So, grab your apron and get ready to explore the world of pumpkin whoopie pies. With all the different flavors and variations to choose from, you’ll never get tired of this delicious fall treat.
Serving Ideas: Creative Ways to Present and Enjoy Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Now that you have a delicious batch of homemade Pumpkin Whoopie Pies, it’s time to get creative with how you serve and enjoy them. These soft and moist pumpkin-flavored cookies with a tangy cream cheese filling can be presented in various ways to make them even more enticing.
One popular option is to serve Pumpkin Whoopie Pies as individual treats. Simply place each pie on a small dessert plate or a decorative paper liner. This allows guests to easily grab a pie and enjoy it at their leisure. You can also stack them on a tiered dessert stand for an elegant presentation.
Another creative idea is to create a beautiful display using a cake stand or a serving platter. Arrange the Pumpkin Whoopie Pies in a circular pattern, alternating the direction of each pie to create an eye-catching design. You can add a touch of fall decor, such as mini pumpkins or autumn leaves, to enhance the presentation.
To make the Pumpkin Whoopie Pies even more appealing, consider adding a garnish or drizzle. A drizzle of sweet maple cream cheese frosting on top of each pie adds a touch of elegance and enhances the flavor. You can also sprinkle some cinnamon or pumpkin spice on the frosting for an extra burst of fall flavors.
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies can be enjoyed as a standalone dessert or paired with other fall treats. Serve them alongside a warm cup of hot apple cider or a pumpkin spice latte for the ultimate fall indulgence. The combination of the soft cookie and cake texture with the creamy filling is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
Whether you’re hosting a fall gathering or simply looking for a treat to enjoy at home, Pumpkin Whoopie Pies are a must-try dessert for the season. Get creative with how you serve and present them, and don’t forget to savor every delicious bite.
To Wrap Things Up
As we conclude our ultimate guide on mastering the art of pumpkin whoopie pies, we hope you feel inspired and equipped to create these delectable treats in your own kitchen. From the step-by-step guide on making homemade pumpkin whoopie pies to the perfect cream cheese filling, we’ve provided you with all the tips and tricks you need to achieve baking success. We’ve also encouraged you to explore different variations of pumpkin whoopie pies, incorporating fall flavors like cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Lastly, we’ve shared creative serving ideas to elevate your pumpkin whoopie pie experience, whether it’s for a cozy night in or a festive gathering. So go ahead and embrace the flavors of autumn with these delightful treats. Happy baking!